Our industrious group has had two bake sales in the last two months to raise money for our new garden: The Raincatcher’s Garden of Midway Hills. It takes a lot of planning, baking, and w-o-r-k to pull off these events.
We would like to thank many of you for supporting us by sending you these recipes for your holiday feasts.
Pumpkin Apple Spice Muffins
1 ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon baking powder
1 cup canned pumpkin
½ cup butter, melted
2 large eggs
1 apple peeled and finely chopped (Granny Smith, Pink Lady etc.)
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
2 Tablespoons sugar
Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine the flour, sugar, 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, salt, and baking powder in a large bowl.
- Fold in diced apples. Scoop batter into greased muffin tin filling 2/3 full.
- Mix together 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice and 2 tablespoons sugar and sprinkle over top of muffin batter.
- Bake muffins at 350° for 15 to 18 minutes or until done in center. Cool slightly and serve.
Pumpkin-Pistachio Breakfast Bread
A yummy holiday bread that’s worthy of gift giving.
1 ½ cups butter, softened
1 ½ cups sugar
3 large eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¾ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
1 ½ cups canned mashed pumpkin
1 cup raisins
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add 1 ½ cups sugar, beating well. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition.
- Combine flour and next 6 ingredients in a large bowl; add to butter mixture alternately with pumpkin, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Stir in raisins and vanilla.
- Spread batter into a greased and floured 13” x 9” pan; sprinkle with Pistachio Topping. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- Beat cream cheese, powdered sugar, and milk in a small bowl until smooth, using a wire whisk. Using whisk, drizzle cream cheese mixture over cake.
Yield: 12 servings
Pictures by Starla
For more Thanksgiving recipes refer to: Farewell to the Field and More Recipes from Farewell to the Field